1. Education

"Promedy" - Newly Published Play for Teens

By January 18, 2010

It's delightful for a playwright to see his/her work on stage. It's also a joy to see the work in print. I have been very fortunate to have had twenty of my plays published. Just as Charles Dickens believed that he had a favorite "literary child" (he was especially fond of David Copperfield), I too feel that I have a personal favorite among my collection of silly little stage plays: Promedy (currently available at Eldridge Plays.)

Here's the premise: The student body leaders at Lowzund High bicker and argue about various prom themes. They finally decide to combine all of their ideas into one to create a medieval-futuristic-under-the-sea dance. But when self-proclaimed drama-geek, Dante Allegro, is rejected by the arrogant, text-messaging-obsessed cheerleader, he uses his persuasive abilities to cancel the whole event.

Check out these funny monologues from Promedy.

Writing plays for young people is a wonderful way to begin your writing career. Writing a play is less time consuming than a novel, and it's more likely to be sold (especially when you compare it to the screenwriting trade).

For more information about creating your own work of dramatic genius, check out my guide to writing plays for children and teens.

Comments

July 15, 2011 at 8:07 am
(1) Bethany says:

Brilliant!! All these monologues are excellent. I was wondering about the availability of these pieces and what i might have to do to gain the rights to perform some of them?

July 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm
(2) plays says:

The monologues are free to use for auditions and non-profit productions.

(And thanks for your kind words. Enjoy!)

August 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm
(3) Joshua says:

What are the act and scene numbers in case we need it for auditions or non profit events.

October 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm
(4) Roxanne Bergerac says:

I have been going through recent theater withdraws over the summer and especially this fall, since having the time of my life playing Roxanne in Cyrano De Bergerac :)
These monologues are perfect and witty and I hope to memorize some of them to keep that passion for drama alive and I hope to find a copy of the play to read.
Thank you so much!

October 13, 2011 at 12:06 am
(5) plays says:

Thanks Roxanne. And congrats on playing the love of Cyrano’s life. That’s my all-time favorite romance.

December 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(6) audrey says:

I am hoping to perform this monologue at the 2012 California State Thespian Conference but I would need the rights. Where would I be able to find them?

December 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(7) plays says:

Any student may use the Promedy monologues for amateur performances and competitions. Thanks for choosing one of my monologues!

February 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm
(8) jon says:

Are these fully published? If audition rules for college say it has to be PUBLISHED, are these good for that?

February 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm
(9) plays says:

Yes, “Promedy” is published by Eldridge Plays, http://www.histage.com

It was published in 2010 and has been performed at about twenty different schools/theaters.

April 7, 2012 at 11:14 pm
(10) Erin says:

These are really great! Would we be able to read a copy of the play so when we perform the monologues we have the full understanding?

June 27, 2012 at 11:23 am
(11) moein says:

hi wade, this is moein. i have been searching for good one person plays to translate for ages but i havent found suitable ones. if you have any please send me. i want to translate them to Persian thanks
a billion..